2011 MCB Prevent Event
On 23 September 2011, Mohammed Ansar attended:
“MCB Community Briefing – Where do we find ourselves post the revised Prevent 2011 counter-terrorism strategy? Friday 23 September 2011, 6.30-9.00 pm” at “London Muslim Centre, Whitechapel”
Following to the publication of a dossier of informed critical comments and assessments of the government’s revised counter-terrorism Prevent agenda, The Muslim Council of Britain invites members of all affiliate organisations to a live briefing session and Q&A with an expert panel of speakers.
The aim of the briefing session is threefold:
• to provide a short overview of the new Prevent, both informative and critical, evaluating both the revised strategy and the lessons learnt in respect of how to feed into a review process that takes community based responses into account;
• to focus on some key areas most likely to impact on Muslims, individually, as particular groups which have been singled out for special attention and as a community, including raising areas of concern and possible responses; and
• to provide a space for anxieties to be aired and constructively addressed, misinformation corrected, and resources outlined.
An expert panel will address issues of policing, counter-terrorism, youthwork, the law, academic freedom, campus politics and student societies among others, followed by Q&A and fully participative discussion with the audience.
• Farooq Murad, Secretary General, The Muslim Council of Britain
• Rizwaan Sabir, Researcher, University of Strathclyde
• Dr Basia Spalek, Director, Police Community Engagement for Conflict Transformation, and Reader in Communities and Justice, University of Birmingham
• Timothy Parsons, Senior Lecturer in Policing and Criminology at the London Metropolitan University
• Azad Ali, Chair, Muslim Safety Forum
• Nabeel Ahmed, President, Federation of Student Islamic Societies
• Dr Muhammad G. Khan, former Chair of the Muslim Youthwork Foundation and Tutor in Youth and Community Work, Ruskin College Oxford
• Dr AbdoolKarim Vakil, Chair, MCB Research and Documentation Committee
Places were: “strictly limited” and “allocated on a first come basis.”
Worked on Prevent
On 19 December 2012, Ansar mentioned that he “worked on Prevent – it could work and has done in places if the communities are strong.” On 28 January 2013, Ansar was presented by Ernie Rea on BBC Radio 4’s Beyond Belief, as: “Mohammed Ansar, who is a social and political commentator who’s contributed to Prevent, a government taskforce on fighting extremism”.
On 23 April 2013: “I spent a long time on Prevent.”